Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 lets you control your digital world by voice -- at work, home, or on the road. Turn thoughts into text just by talking. Tell your PC what to do and it does it. With Dragon as your personal assistant, you’ll accomplish more on your PC faster than ever before.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 speech recognition software lets you control your digital world by voice -- three times faster than typing. Turn ideas into text at the speed of thought. Tell your PC what to do and it does it. Use Dragon to talk your way through your “to-do” list -- email, reports, spreadsheets, presentations, social networking, and more -- quickly and confidently. Use a digital voice recorder and Dragon will transcribe the audio files when you return to your PC. With Dragon as your personal assistant, you’ll get more done faster for less stress and more success -- at home, work, or wherever life takes you.
- TURN TALK INTO TEXT Say words and watch them appear on your computer screen in Word, Word Perfect, Excel, Outlook, and more -- three times faster than typing -- with up to 99% recognition accuracy right out of the box.
- UNLOCK YOUR CREATIVITY Transform ideas into text at the speed of thought; don’t let typing slow you down. Play back what you’ve written for easy proofing.
- WORK COMFORTABLY Control your PC in a relaxed, hands-free mode without being tied to your keyboard. Say goodbye to repetitive stress injuries.
- USE VIRTUALLY ANY WINDOWS APPLICATION Create reports, spreadsheets or presentations; send email or schedule meetings; surf the Web; update your Facebook status or download your favorite music -- using just your voice.
- MULTI-TASK LIKE NEVER BEFORE Tell your PC what to do, like “Send email to Jon Smith and Raphael Sanchez” or “Search the Web for Internet marketing companies in Boston, Massachusetts” to work faster and smarter. Complete multiple steps with a single voice command.
- WORK YOUR WAY Personalize Dragon with custom word lists and voice commands that reflect the kind of work you do; set formatting preferences, too.
- BE PRODUCTIVE ON THE GO Use a Nuance-approved digital voice recorder from anywhere, at anytime and Dragon will automatically transcribe the audio files when you return to your PC. Wireless microphone support delivers even more convenience.
WHAT IS NEW
- Reduced Word Recognition Errors: Dragon 11.5 significantly improved recognition accuracy and can reduce recognition errors up to 15% compared with Dragon 10. This means Dragon 12 recognizes speech more accurately right out of the box so users will spend less time correcting recognition errors.
- Smart Configuration: Dragon 11.5 runs on a variety of hardware, from small netbooks to high-powered servers. Dragon automatically detects hardware resources and sets up the recommended configuration. Dragon’s state-of-the-art technology takes advantage of advances in hardware and runs in multiple-threads automatically when multi-core hardware is detected to achieve better recognition performance.
- Easy Scheduling of Accuracy Tuning: This automatic process plays a large role in improving a user’s accuracy from his or her own usage, since it adapts the profile based on what dictations and corrections have already been done. It must run at a time when the computer is on, but the user is not dictating. In version 11, scheduling Accuracy Tuning no longer requires a Windows password, so the user can easily choose a time and frequency that fit his or her schedule. Similarly, no password is required to schedule the Data Collection process (which periodically sends to Nuance anonymous usage data to improve the accuracy of future updates of Dragon).
- Recognition Analytics: Because a significant percentage of misrecognitions can be caused by simple audio quality issues such as incorrect microphone connection or placement, background noise, and Bluetooth microphone out of range or low on battery, Dragon now automatically detects poor audio input; it then alerts the user (in various ways depending on the issue), offering advice to remedy the situation. This lets Dragon use the best audio possible -- an important factor for accuracy.
Faster Recognition Response for Commands and Dictation:
- Faster Response Times: Dragon 12 improved recognition response time significantly. It is also faster than previous editions when selecting application menu items by voice or executing voice commands that perform actions within applications (e.g., "insert page break," "make that red," etc.)
New User Interface
- Dictate faster and more efficiently: Dictate faster and more efficiently: Dragon quickly processes the recognition of speech in the background, and instead of the Results box of previous versions, displays only a discreet indicator that recognition is in progress; this encourages continuous speech, an important factor for accuracy. Novice users are no longer distracted by watching the preliminary recognition results pooling and changing within the Results Box before text is inserted into the document. (The traditional Results box is still available as an option.)
- New Dragon Sidebar: A major enhancement over Version 10’s Sample Commands window, this new desktop assistant allows users to discover and remember many commands and tips; at any time, it lets you glance at or explore global commands (including mouse commands), application-specific commands and custom-created commands, as well as tips. The Dragon Sidebar is a thin, resizable and dockable window that can be placed anywhere on the Windows desktop. Its contents change depending on what window is currently active. In addition, the Sidebar lets users print its content.
- Richer Help system: The redesigned Accuracy Center (accessible from the Help menu) now gathers all important tools and options, with brief descriptions of key items to help discovery. The Help system also incorporate new tips and illustrations, a redesigned Tutorial, short videos, and easy access to related details such as a glossary of key terms. Finding relevant information is faster and easier thanks also to icon links on the Dragon Sidebar and contextual links on dialog boxes – as well as new voice shortcuts you can speak at any time (“Search Dragon Help for…”)
- More usable toolbar (the DragonBar): The naming and organization of items on the DragonBar now allow users to discover and quickly access important but often-overlooked Dragon features, such as the Vocabulary Editor, the analysis of specific documents, scheduled tasks, and recognition modes (Dictation Mode, Numbers Mode, etc..). Now docked to the top of the screen by default, the DragonBar gathers in one area all its indicators: icons and written messages.
- Text Control Indicator on the DragonBar: This checkmark icon on the DragonBar indicates whether Dragon currently has "Full Text Control" for the active text field. Formerly called “Select-and-Say”, “Full Text Control” enables capabilities such as the use, at anytime, of commands that quote words from the text (“Select…”, “Correct…”, “Delete…”, “Insert Before…”). When the insertion point is in a field for which Dragon does not have Full Text Control, Dragon dims this checkmark icon and writes a message in the DragonBar; this informs the user that he or she may wish to dictate via Dragon’s Dictation Box which gives access to Dragon’s full capabilities to edit and correct text (as in previous versions).
Improved Correcting and Editing
- Handling multiple matches in text: Now when users issue voice commands to select, correct, edit or format a word or phrase and there are multiple matches for what they said in their document, Dragon displays a number next to each match. Users can then choose whether to apply the command to one or all of the numbered items, so they save time by directly addressing a specific spot or addressing multiple spots all at once. This also applies to the commands “delete…”, “copy…”, “insert before…”, and more.
- Dragon Learns from all Corrections: In the past, corrections entered using the keyboard were not incorporated into the user profile. Now when a user dictates something and retypes it to correct a misrecognition, Dragon identifies this as a correction and uses it to adapt the user’s profile, improving its accuracy over time.
- Enhanced Correction Menu: The Correction Menu now suggests more alternate recognitions by default and enables users to quickly add phrases to the vocabulary, or to prevent an undesired word from being recognized. (Words that have been deleted from the Vocabulary can be restored if desired, and can now be seen from the Vocabulary Editor’s Display list.)
- More usable Spelling Window: Formerly named “Spell Dialog”, this window (allowing users to type or spell out something Dragon was not able to transcribe) is now more intuitive. If one of the alternatives in its list is almost correct, the user can now say “modify n” -- the number of the desired alternative. (As before, users can also double-click a desired alternative, or say “choose n”.)
Time-Saving Voice Commands
- More Dragon Voice Shortcuts: Dragon 11 includes more commands than ever to consolidate multiple mouse clicks and keystrokes into a direct voice command that can be spoken anytime -- no matter what is active on the screen. Users can now use the "search [website] for [XYZ]" commands to make precise searches in Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, as well as the Nuance technical knowledgebase website. Dragon 11 also lets users voice keyword searches in its Helptopics (“Search Dragon Help for [XYZ]”), and includes new voice shortcuts that make it faster and easier to manage email, tasks and meetings.
- Navigating the Computer Desktop: Dragon now supports more voice commands to show common Windows elements including the desktop and Control Panel, or folders such as My Documents and My Pictures. New commands enable users to effortlessly switch to a specific window (Dragon displays a numbered list so the user can just say the number of the desired window.) In addition, Dragon 12 allows shorter names for starting popular applications (e.g., "start Microsoft Word" instead of “start Microsoft Office Word 2007”.)
- Navigating Documents: Dragon 12 allows users to scroll up or down pages within programs including Word, Outlook, Excel, and more, with the same command wordings such as “Start scrolling down,”“Speed up” and “Stop scrolling.”
- More Precise Keyword Searching: For its search shortcut commands, Dragon 11 now applies its auto formatting rules to the dictated search keywords (the XYZ in “Search … for XYZ”). In addition, it gives the user the option to edit or augment the search string before launching the search (without this option, the user must say the entire search command in one utterance: Dragon will launch the search as soon as it hears a pause). These enhancements can save a lot of time, since the more precise your search string, the faster you find exactly what you need.
Getting Started with Dragon is Faster and Easier
- Faster and Easier to Create a User Profile: User profile creation has been redesigned to be simple and conversational. The process now offers information about why each step is needed and helps users make optimal choices. Setting up a microphone or new audio source is more clear and straightforward.
- Local Settings: During user profile creation, users can now select their region of the world so that Dragon can automatically use regional formatting for dates, currency, etc.
- New Text Options to “Train” Dragon: Dragon 12 provides simplified training texts designed to make the reading experience easier and more informative.
Easier than Ever to Use Dragon with a Digital Voice Recorder
- Initial Training Time Reduced for Recorders: Creating a new user profile for a digital recorder, or adding a digital recorder as a new audio source for an existing user profile, is now much faster: the minimum reading time required to train Dragon with a recorder has been reduced from 15 to 4 minutes.
- Ability to Use .DSS and .DS2 Files: Dragon 12 can now accept .dss and .ds2 formats directly. Files recorded using these digital speech recording formats (found on recorders from Olympus, Grundig and Philips) previously required conversion prior to transcription.
- Smoother fast-forward and rewind behaviors are now available and users now have options to control speed and volume.
The install process checks that your system meets the minimum requirements; if they are not met, Dragon NaturallySpeaking will not be installed.
- CPU: minimum 1 GHz Intel® Pentium® or equivalent AMD processor or 1.66 GHz Intel® Atom® processor. We recommend 1.8 GHz Intel Dual Core or equivalent AMD processor. (IMPORTANT: SSE2 instruction set required)
- Processor Cache: minimum 512 KB. We recommend 2 MB.
- Free hard disk space: 2.5 GB (2.8 GB for localized non-English versions)
- Supported Operating Systems:
- --Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit
- --Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 and SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit
- --Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and SP3, 32-bit only
- --Windows Server 2003 and 2008, SP1, SP2 and R2, 32-bit and 64-bit
- RAM: minimum 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008. We recommend 2 GB RAM for Windows XP and Windows Vista, and 4 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003/2008 64-bit.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher (free download at www.microsoft.com)
- Creative® Labs Sound Blaster® 16 or equivalent sound card supporting 16-bit recording
- DVD-ROM drive required for installation
- Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone (included in purchase). See details at support.nuance.com/compatibility/ (includes information on Bluetooth microphones, recorders, and Tablet PCs).
Note: An internet connection is required for product activation (a quick anonymous process).
*This edition of Dragon does not support dictation directly into Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Systems. For EMR support, please use Dragon Medical Edition.